Thursday, April 26, 2012

'It's Weird Being Outside of the American Idol Bubble'


Colton Dixon was American Idol's golden boy from the moment he stepped into the audition room last summer. A favorite among all three judges, the 20-year-old singer never found himself in danger of elimination — until last week.

After his lukewarm renditions of Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" and Earth Wind and Fire's "September" last week, the young singer received the lowest amount of votes and was sent home from the competition.

Dixon talked to reporters about his surprise exit, his future music plans, and his thoughts on who will be the next American Idol.

On his shocking elimination. "I had a feeling I was in the bottom three, but I was still surprised because I had never been in the bottom. At the same time, I’m okay with it and I’m glad Hollie gets to stay longer. She’s going to kill it this week and all’s going to be well. It all happened so fast, and since I had never been in the bottom, I didn’t fully understand what was going on. Even the next morning when I woke up, I was thinking, 'OK, I need to get ready for the mentor session,' and I was like, 'Oh wait, that wasn’t a bad dream last night!' It’s weird being on the other side of things and outside of the Idol bubble."

 On his musical ambitions. "I definitely want to do Christian music. I hope that I get to. I’m going to write as much as I can and see what comes out. I had someone earlier today ask me if I would do a duet with my sister on an album, and I think that would be amazing. It’s a great idea. That would be so much fun."

On staying true to himself by performing his "favorite worship song."
"I’m a Christian and I’m not going to shy away from it. I thought I should share that with everyone watching and I got great feedback from what I did. I was so glad I got to sing ["Everything" by Lifehouse] not once, but twice on the show. I think that made an impact and that encouraged fellow believers to take a stand for what they believe in and not be ashamed of it." 

On who will take the American Idol title.
 "In seasons past, I could clearly pick a winner, and I’m not just saying this because they’re all dear to me, but it’s anyone’s game, and I genuinely mean that. I think a lot of people were surprised by me leaving last week, but it goes to show you that no one’s safe. America has to vote for their favorites. There are a couple of people that stand out every week, but at the same time, there’s room for dark horses in this race. I’m just as curious as everyone else who’s going to take this thing home, because I honestly have no clue."
 
On the judge who gave him the best advice. "I think Randy has given the best. I love them all and they all bring something different, but Randy has really reached out and invested in me and I love seeing that. He told me never stray too far from who you are and always up your game. It’s not week to week now, but it might be song to song or album to album hopefully. So I’ll definitely take that and always remember that."
 
Source: Parade

No comments:

Post a Comment